4.12.2013

Potty Training

I don't understand potty training. I don't understand why parents want to potty train. I don't mind diapers. I really don't. They are so convenient! You can go anywhere and do anything (well, swimming gets a little tricky in diapers) and not worry about it. I can go on a three hour car ride and my kid can do their thing and we don't even realize it. It's awesome! But apparently that's not socially acceptable after a certain age and my kids are apparently reaching that age. So, potty training it is. 

We bought our first set of underwear and potty chair months and months ago. I think it was even before Christmas. The girls thought they were awesome at first and I was thinking this was going to be a walk in the park, but then Sophie accidentally peed her pants and it's been downhill ever since. 

*I* was fine with an accident, but she definitely was not. She looked at that underwear like it was the worst thing in the world. They both thought the same thing about the bright green IKEA potty we got and don't even think about putting them on the kid size toilet seat we got. That was worse than murder!

So, for months we just talked about using the potty. We talked a LOT. They saw us use it. We watched a little potty training dvd. I had the potty out in the living room with their toys and we'd practice with stuffed animals. They still hated it. I'd ask them if they want to wear their underwear over their diaper and they would burst into instant tears. I backed off for a few months and didn't mention anything. Basically, there was ZERO progression. None. At all. 

Then one day, Lillian decided that she hated baths. I think it had something to do with her sudden fear of sharks, but one morning she refused to get into the tub. To get out of it, my smart little girl asked, "Potty??" I asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty while Sophie took a bath and sure enough, she did. So, she sat and after a few minutes, she started freaking out. She was actually going potty and it really scared her. I made a big deal about it by clapping, getting her a cookie, giving high fives and plenty of praises. That morning was a game changer and Lillian ended up using the potty one more time that day. 

From there, I was convinced that we had made our breakthrough. I thought it would be so much easier from here on out because at least one kid was getting it. Nope. Still wrong. Sophie still wanted absolutely nothing to do with any of it and Lillian would only use when she was trying to get out of bathing. I decided to get this Elmo potty in hopes that it would spark more interest. Let me tell you... this was the best $23 I ever spent! Both of the girls love it and they've both spent entire mornings using it!

Except... they still are only using it a couple times a week. It's progress for sure, but I'm really baffled at how these "3 day potty training" programs work. I've read the methods (read big chunks of a book and many blog posts about it) and it just doesn't make sense for my girls. Maybe it's just because it's not a battle I'm willing to fight and maybe "being ready" isn't a light switch where they instantly are or not. 

We're getting there. I'm not sure when I'll actually venture out of the house in underwear because so far the Elmo potty is the only thing they'll use and we've never been successful more than a few hours at a time, but like I said, it's progress! 

I've been trying to keep potty training updates to a minimum of facebook because I don't want to be that mom, but here are a few pictures that I've snapped with my phone because I have to document it somehow, right?





Also, remember that job that I mentioned a few posts back? Well, it's official! I'm the new blogger for Cheeky Lime and I'm also running a good portion of their social media. I'm really excited and have a lot of ideas for the next few months. You can "like" Cheeky Lime over on facebook as well as read what their blog if you'd like. I hope this blog doesn't take a spot on the back burner, but it might take a little time for me to figure out juggling everything. Let's see if I'm cut out for it! Ha!

5 comments:

  1. I hate potty training, so I want to first offer my condolences, especially on training two at a time. Second, the best thing I did with Ryan (don't know why it took me until the 6th) was to leave him bottom-naked during the day. For a week. In general, I found that I needed to clear out an entire week of everything so I could train myself to remember to take the kid to the potty every 1/2 hour or so the first day and every hour after that. But leaving him naked made him realize a little more readily what was happening, so he could recognize it. For naps and bedtime I put underwear on him, then a diaper over that, so he'd feel it in the underwear, but it wouldn't make a mess. Also, do not think for one second that they will tell you they need to go. That happens in about a year. You tell them when they are going, and they learn to hold it until then. So potty training is for kids and adults. :) I still hate it, but I can't decide if I hate it more than teaching kids to drive...May the force be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cheryl too. The day we made Sage go naked from the waist down, she started going #2 in the toilet. Now she takes herself pee without me asking her to. I'm still prompting her to try #2, but things have improved 150%. I'm scared to death to start dressing her though..because I'm SO done with cleaning out poo panties. Hope they eventually get it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did Sage freak out when you made her go naked? My girls FLIP if I don't put a diaper on them, so I usually quickly give up. :/

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the job AND potty training! And heck, progress is progress. Potty training is the worst. But like the other 2 ladies said, going naked made it a billion times easier (although, I now, 6 months later, can't KEEP clothes or underwear on my kid so maybe you shouldn't be listening to me ha...). Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for recognizing what works for you and your family. Sometimes I feel like there are so many things out there that say things like "do this this and this and your [child] [body] [family] will be perfect!" Meh, it's not true. You gotta do what's best for you. Good luck with the training! Your girls are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete