4.08.2013

A little change in plans

I'll be honest, I had a ranty post scheduled for today. I alluded to it earlier, but I've been a bit more vocal about my opinions these past few weeks and it's made a few people uncomfortable. I think it's mostly been sparked by feeling out of place. There are a few reasons why my family and I don't quite "fit the mold" where we live/with friends and family members. Sometimes it's really frustrating. So, after a little bird told me that I was still being talked about by a group of people, I freaked. I wrote a really, really long blog post about how it's OK to think differently. About how we didn't all have to be exactly the same. I wrote about how I purged my facebook of almost 60 friends. Mostly people that I never see in real life and don't really consider them to be "buddies", but also some people that (in my opinion) bring unnecessary drama to the table. And I mean, you guys, it's facebook. Facebook! What's the point of it if we're just going to all end up hating each other?

So, I wrote this post and planned on publishing it this morning. But guess what? General Conference happened. If you're Mormon, you'll know how cliche it is to hear people say, "This was JUST what I needed to hear! That talk was written for me!" and I'm going to join on that bandwagon, because there were awesome things said this weekend.

Not only did we have TWO women pray (and one even said the opening prayer, which is a pretty big deal) but we had a fantastic talk given that was all about being the best you can be while being different. About how political and cultural diversity is a good thing. About how there's room for all of us.




And then, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, we had a talk about how it's OK to not be certain about things. That doubt isn't the opposite of faith, but certainty is. And that we are all in different stages of life and in our spirituality and if we don't have everything figured out, it's OK. It's OK to be different. It's OK not to be like everyone around you. There's still a place for you!
 

As you can imagine, I was pretty excited. This weekend was so validating to me and so many people that feel just like me. Maybe you're not Mormon and have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe you are Mormon and have no idea what I'm talking about, but just know that this weekend was a good one and if you have a few moments, you should give these two talks a listen to. They are great.


 Also, this was my 800th post. That's crazy to me.
When I started this blog, I honestly thought I wouldn't keep up with it.
I'm grateful that I've proved myself wrong.

6 comments:

  1. I can't even express how much I love Elder Holland. Is it okay to have favorites? Because I think he's my favorite. Loved conference. Love that we can all be different and still show love. And I'll stop now before I say love a million more times.

    Keep your chin up, pretty lady. You're pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brittany. Amen to feeling different and like you don't belong....I feel that way too much of the time. I've really enjoyed hearing your thoughts, though. And yes, I am so happy that two women prayed in Conference. I cried during Sister Stevens' prayer. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and I'm glad you are feeling more hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the way I felt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well the only talking about you going on is that you are AWESOME and hilarious. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS this is Diana accidentally logged in as my husband...

    ReplyDelete